Saturday, April 4, 2009

Peapod...Survey says...

I did not forget about my promised Peapod review.

The Fabulous One and I started using Peapod a couple months ago for two reasons:

1. To help us keep our grocery shopping held within a strict budget.

2. To save us some time as our lives were so busy we needed every hour we could get.

I must say, both of these needs were met in very large ways. We were able to plan exactly what we wanted to buy. There were no surprises at the checkout, no gravitational pulls toward the Drumsticks, and I wasn't circling the store four times to find a "small jar of capers".

After establishing our food budget, we planned on spending about 70% of it on Peapod and the other 30% was to be spent at the grocery store if we needed a quick 1/2 gallon of milk or a loaf of bread.

We found the Peapod delivery drivers to be very friendly. They showed up in the time frame that was established, and carried the bags of groceries right to the middle of our kitchen. If this seems a little too intimate and/or creepy to you, you will certainly appreciate their unattended delivery where they leave your groceries in very sturdy boxes next to your door. The refrigerated items are in an insulated cooler with ice packs and the frozen food is stored in a cooler with dry ice. I was quite impressed!

Peapod also offers weekly specials that were unexpected. One week we were able to choose one of three frozen entrees (to be cooked in the oven) for free ($12 value). It was very good and there was plenty left over for lunch the next day.

Okay, so what was the catch? The expected downside is that the prices do tend to run more expensive than the stores. I couldn't calculate a consistent markup. But you do definitely get less food for your money.

Also, the delivery charges range between $7 and $10 depending on your order amount. We simply built this charge into our budget.

Our schedules have since eased up a bit and we are not currently using Peapod on a regular basis. I do however, see us taking advantage of this service again this summer when our businesses really pick up.

That's my two cents. Are there any other opinions out there?