Sunday, October 26, 2008

What suffering economy?

I don't have a lot of time to post today, but I do want to make note of an observation I have made over the last couple weeks. Things are supposedly doing terrible in regards to our economy. The stock market is way down, foreclosures are through the roof, and personal debt is as high as ever. But drive by your local mall and you will see a full parking lot. The restaurants are full of people. Is everyone in denial? Maybe people haven't felt the effects yet?

Granted, every store in the mall right now is having some sort of sale. And don't get me wrong. I'm not bitter or anything like that -- just amazed. I was one of those people this weekend at the mall and out to dinner. I wonder what it will actually take for people as a whole to start cutting back on personal spending and dining out. I don't think we'll be able to plow through this recession without cutting back on at least some of life's luxuries.

What do you think? What have you cut back on in recent days?

No comments: